Twitter Facebook Pinterest Google+ Tumblr Linkedin RSS

Monday, 2 December 2013

Top 10 Motoring Gripes – Driving Room 101 (Part Two)

So, here it is. The final part of what was initially supposed to be our Top 10 Driving Gripes.

If you have been following the contributions from many of our friends on Twitter, you will see that there were far more than 10 so we renamed it “Driving Room 101”. This week, I asked again for suggestions of what should go into our final list of driving misdemeanours.

A few more annoyances were raised which I will be detailing below. The rest of the moans are all mine… I hope that you agree!

As per last week, they are again in no particular order (at the moment, anyway…):

1. Lane crimes – It wasn’t just cutting in lanes that got you all bothered this week; Les Smith (@lessmith) told us that middle lane motorway driving gets right up his nose and Newmarket Cars (@Newmarketcars) gave a bit of a warning to anyone who strays out of lane; “Pick a lane: damn well stay in it. Don’t act surprised if I growl at you when you drift into mine!” Couldn’t have put it better myself!

2. Undertaking – This is a pet hate of mine and I know a lot of other drivers, too. A friend of mine did point out that there are instances where it’s safer to undertake then not (for example, when pulling onto a motorway and nobody lets you in). Whilst I take his point of view into account, I obviously don’t condone or encourage this practice in any way.

3. Light Misdemeanours – The incorrect operation of headlights got a real bashing this week with Andy Harris (@ytimesmotoring) highlighting the dangers of driving without lights in bad weather and driving in the dark with only daytime LEDs on display (i.e. no rear lights at all). Rich (@Joe_Hallenbeck) cited “Driving with a trailer/load and not adjusting headlight angle. General headlight angle ignorance” and went on to say that he doubts if a lot of drivers even know that their headlights can adjust at all. Good point.

4. Corner Abuse – Yes, it has been missed until now but cutting corners and/or taking them too wide is highly irritating (especially when the offending drivers catch your eye and look at you as if to say “what?!”).

5. Drivers who look down on you – Well, I say this, but it could be that they are looking up at you depending on your drive heights! Snooty drivers really are the pits. You can usually tell the offenders by the way in which they may – or may not! – thank you or from the way in which they cut you up and look at you as if you don’t matter.


6. Over cautiousness – North City Autos (@NorthCityAutos) told us this week that people who go really, really slow in the run up to a speed hump really annoyed them. Yes, speed bumps should be approached with caution but there is a limit. Whilst we are on this subject, being over cautious generally whilst driving is always a danger and one to beware of.

7. Silly Overtaking – Personally, I can’t believe that this one wasn’t bought up by any of my fellow Tweeps. You know the sort of overtaking I mean; when there is no need, when it is blatantly dangerous to do so (or even law-breaking) and when it is completely pointless because it won’t really get you any further ahead. Ridiculous.

8. Tractors – Of course – and especially being a rural dweller – I can’t put tractors into Driving Room 101 but I can put annoying tractors into it without a moment’s thought. I am talking about tractors that don’t pull in where there is ample opportunity and tractors that take no heed of the very long trail of traffic behind them. Also included are the tractors that continue to trim the hedge or do whatever they are doing without letting you go by for at least 10 minutes (and then don’t say thank you). I am pleased to say that the offending vehicles (or drivers, really) do represent the minority and of course, I appreciate that they have a very important job to do.

9. Bicycles – While we are on the country lane subject bikes just have to get a mention. Specifically bikes that ride tandem (leaving no room for you to go around them) and bikes that don’t pull over – often for miles on end – when there is ample opportunity to do so. Another thing that really gets me quite cross is when a bicycle rider tries to pull over to the left of the lane in the hope that you can overtake but gets angry at you because you can’t (there is not enough room). I’ve had hand gestures and everything on that one; I’m not sure why as the alternative would be to plough into them but there you go.

10. Main beam misuse – we all hate this one! In fact, so much so that people keeping their main beam on when they shouldn’t has spawned the auto-dimming rear view mirror invention. Nice.

11. Driving Meanies – There may be some over-assertive driving techniques on the road to try and beat the queues but there are certainly some really mean people out there. The amount of times that I haven’t been let into a lane when I have a) had no choice about being in the wrong lane in the first place and b) it wouldn’t hurt them a bit if they let me in simply cannot be counted. What is worse is that most of these people will pull as far forward as they can and look straight ahead with either a smug look or a blank expression. Basically, they can do it, but they can’t make eye contact with you. What a cowardly practice.

12. Roundabouts – Although I feel that Newmarket Cars (@NewmarketCars) would like to put roundabouts into Driving Room 101 I did point out that we couldn’t really do this. BUT what we can do, however, is put all drivers who don’t understand the concept of giving way to the right in, instead. With pleasure, in fact.


If we can get our technology act together, we may well be bringing you the chance to vote on your favourites so that we can put the gripes into some sort of order and we will also be asking you what you would (anonymously, of course!) actually admit to!

So that, as they say, is a wrap! I do hope that you have found our Driving Room 101 not only entertaining but also that you have identified with our woes. A problem shared, as they say, is a problem halved after all!



Written by @MotorMistress
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment